[THIN] Re: RAID 1

  • From: "Dupris, Mike" <Mike.Dupris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:29:38 -0500

Raid 1 out performs Raid 0 but is riskier because of the lack of
redundancy. Raid 1 is better best used for basic "stuff" that you can
easily get back on due to failure (NOS, easy applications quickly
installed) -think if you can rebuild it from disk (or blast down from an
image) then do a basic restore of a limited amount of settings or
configurations (from file) and your operation is back up and running
then RAID 1 is better for performance.

Raid 0 is delayed because of the read & compare then delete & writes.
Raid 1 spreads data across disks thereby spreading out the disk
operations across the array (relieving bottlenecks.)

Temporary files and system pagefiles can be kept on a single independent
disk (rather than the same disk -remember we are trying to limit the
times we have to wait on the arm to position the head on one of the
platters -for the matter, we are also wanting to remove overhead on an
array controller.)  Risk:  if that disk the temp/system file is located
on fails during production, that could cause a serious issue if your
system relies upon heavy pagefile use.

Transactions or archives should not be kept on Raid 1.  RAID 1 should
not be used if the application's "presence" is not managed for you
(Clustered VIP, Farm) -I guess I am saying, if the box goes down and you
have another host that is going to handle the load then you shouldn't be
afraid to use RAID 1 over 0.

Here is a high performance production setup for Clustered or Farmed
boxes

[NOS] 3 disks, raid 1, controller A, disk cache enabled, PCI bus X (I
like at least 3 for dedicated OS ,volume -single patrician)

[TEMP] 1 disk, independent disk, disk cache enabled, controller B, PCI
bus Y

[DATA] Multiple disks, raid 5 or 10, disk write-through if Database,
controller C or SAN attached, PCI bus Z or SAN attached

Where XYZ are placeholders for whatever dedicated PCI buses are
available on your system.

Mike Dupris