[THIN] Re: Question re: SATA drives

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:49:53 +0000

I've noticed people are beginning to say watch out for drives over ~500G in
size, as their density is so great they're constantly error correcting. Not
sure how truthful it is, but it seems to be swirling around the net a bit
now.

Andrew

On 10/01/07, Evan Mann <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Everyone's experiences are different.  I purchased 4 brand new Seagate
750g SATA drievs and put then in an Infrant ReadyNAS 1000.  Within 1 week of
being online, I had SMART errors on a drive and it needed to be replaced.
The only thing that drive actually ever did was have to go through the
initial RAID5 built,. and transferring of about 200g if data.

I've had plenty of SCSI drives fail, but nothing THAT fast.  Curiously,
I've yet to have a Seagate SCSI drive fail in my Dell servers.  But I've had
Quantum, Maxtor, WDC, and Fujitsu all fail.  Interesting, eh?

I'm of the opinion that SCSI drives are built to higher standards.  I have
no substantiated proof of this except my own personal experiences.

That being said, we are using SATA for inexpensive non-primary storage in
our SANs because a shelf of SATA is far cheaper then a shelf of FC.
However, every SAN manufacturer we spoke with directly (about 5 or 6) all
said that their global failure rates for SATA are much higher then SCSI.