[THIN] Question - maybe any developers might have an answer?

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:43:44 -0000

I've been annoyed with a problem on a TS in my farm for a while.

Since a rebuild, and refresh of the drives, and server vendor support
pack, and icon gets placed in the systray on the taskbar. It's the eject
hardware thing, and I think it's something to do with the PCI
architecture on these servers.

Anyways - this isn't like other systray things that get put there by
executables, or by things instigated from run keys in the registry.

And it get's populated to all users taskbars. Admin users can opt to not
have it shown. However, my normal TS users have quite some GPO
restrictions (in this case it's the control panel thing that's relevant)
that prevent them from being able to do anything with this icon in the
systray.

However, I normally like to turn off / remove anything that's not
relevant, and can be removed - merely to pre-empt futile calls about
things, really. In this case, they can't do anything with it, but I'd
like to remove it, so I don't get any pointless messages that there's an
icon there, and if they double-click it, they get a (in effect GPO)
message saying it's been disabled by the administrator.

To cut to the chase, I have managed to identify the settings that get
changed by an admin user, opting to not display this. However, the
kicker being, I believe that the GUI option to do this, sends some event
or update to the taskbar.

So I know the setting to set, but because I don't know of the event /
refresh, nor a convenient mechanism to invoke it, I end up with a
taskbar that has some "issues". To explain the comments about "mechanism
to invoke it" - I'm not a windows / win32 developer - I don't get to
write much true code any more, I just write admin stuff (vbscript /
ADSI, Kixtart, cmd files) and client-side utilities (HTML / HTA).

This being the question I have for any developers - is there any means
by which I normally do things (in a scripted manner) ie vbscript,
Kixtart, cmd, to be able to send and event, or refresh the taskbar,
after the login script has updated the registry value to hide the
systray icon. I kinda figure it is a taskbar refresh thing, because the
icon does disappear, but the taskbar doesn't respond to apps launched
(ie word, excel, outlook), the start menu works fine, but apps run don't
get displayed on the taskbar - but if they click on the taskbar a few
times, it comes to life, and running apps appear.

And my second question is regarding Word (2000). I posted a question a
while back, regarding issues I had when running office apps,
specifically and only when they were accessed as published apps through
NFuse. Basically, word and / or excel would hang - the interface for the
apps (border, menu etc...) would sort of hang and be incomplete, and the
app would be unresponsive. The session would respond, and ctrl-F1 would
allow the session to be logged out, though.

I've since done some work on this, and now it's only Word (2000 - the
latest SP for Office 2000 is installed) that behaves this way. And this
is the thing - it only occurs, the first time word is run this way on
the *server* since a reboot. Every time afterwards, the hang doesn't
occur.

I did a fair amount of work comparing a hanging word app, and a normal
word app, to try and understand what was happening / going wrong. I
think there's a connection with folder redirection - specifically "My
Documents" / personal - as that appeared to have gone wrong on the
sessions that hang (only ever the first run on the server after a
reboot). I redirect "My Documents" using a login script that writes the
appropriate registry value.

I think I derived this, from using process explorer comparing a hanging
word session, with a working word session - I think the current
directory was different, probably due to the failing in redirection.

Has anybody come up against this, or have any ideas? Especially on the
first time run on the server since a reboot?

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting
http://vizioncore.com/products.html