[THIN] Question concerning some Performance issues.

  • From: rick.mattingly@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:45:59 -0400

Recently we started experiencing extreme % disk utilization problems on all
of our servers but 2.  The hard drive will spike at 100% for minutes at a
time.

Environment:
Windows 2003
MF XPe 1.0 FR3/SP3 <- looking at upgrading to SP4 this week.
IBM Blades: Models 8832/8843 HS20s
2 - 36 GB drives mirrored and partition into 2 drives
2 - 3.0x GHz Processors
4 GB Memory
Some of our main apps
Office 2000 Pro <- All servers
Lotus Notes <- Half the servers
Adobe 6.02
IE obviously

2 possible suggestions have been presented and my question is have they
helped in your environment?
1.  Move to a single partition, 1 big 36GB C: drive.  Apparently IBM is
recommending this, but it doesn't make sense to me.
2.  I have heard there is a way to get rid of your page file in Windows
2003 and although we currently have enough memory, applications still like
to use a page file.  If we got rid of the page file, the assumption is that
apps would be forced to use the memory?

Also, if there is any other suggestions they will be gladly appreciated.
We have been living with this for about 3 weeks and we are running out of
options and we can't find any differences between the 2 that are running
good and the ones that are not.

Thanks,
Enterprise Server Team
Rick Mattingly
859-363--2264

material. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of, or
computer.

This Weeks Sponsor: eg Innovations, Inc.
Enabling Proactive Infrastructure Triage eG Innovations, Inc. is the leading
provider of real-time monitoring and proactive triage solutions
for IT Infrastructures.
http://www.eginnovations.com/egcitrix.htm