[THIN] Re: Query Farm Name in User context

  • From: "Layman, Eric" <Eric.Layman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:41:21 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Warren Simondson
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:01 PM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Query Farm Name in User context

I might be missing something here, but why don't you just read the registry of
the server on login to see which farm it belongs to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\IMA]

"Neighborhood"="YOUR_FARM_NAME_IS_HERE"

So a vbs or kix script could do this read quickly and easily and pass the name
to a variable or what ever you need.
Normally I'd write a quick little api executeable in this case, but our team is
working overtime at the moment so we won't get a chance until maybe end of
April. I'll let you know when we tap something together but in the mean time,
reading the reg key on login would solve the issue.

Let me know if I have miss understood what you are trying to do.

Cheers
--
Warren Simondson

Ctrl-Alt-Del IT Consultancy Pty Ltd

Website: http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com.au

Quoting Jeremy Saunders <Jeremy.Saunders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I have to agree with Joe here.
>

> Also, I'm not sure in the example that Andrew has provided, but making
> MFCOM queries may require DCOM permissions and/or Custom Admin
> permissions in the Farm to view certain properties, so it becomes a
> pain to implement for all users. Much simpler to set variables or
> query a registry key. Both of which can be easily pushed out globally
> by custom ADM templates, startup scripts, psexec scripts, etc.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Jeremy.

######
> Confidentiality and Privilege Notice
> This document is intended solely for the named addressee.  The
> information contained in the pages is confidential and contains
> legally privileged information. If you are not the addressee indicated
> in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such
> person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone, and you
> should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply
> email. Confidentiality and legal privilege are not waived or lost by
> reason of mistaken delivery to you.

the below link:
//www.freelists.org/list/thin
Follow ThinList on Twitter
http://twitter.com/thinlist
http://thinmaillist.blogspot.com
Thinlist MOBILE Feed
http://thinlist.net/mobile

***National City made the following annotations