[THIN] Re: Published Desktop

  • From: Michael Pardee <pardeemp.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 00:34:05 -0400

We do 4500 concurrent today on our way to 7500 in the next 1-2 years.
Although I would prefer to do the published apps, we have close to 4000
WinCE based thin clients and the users really liked having full desktop that
most of their applications reside.  We do have silos for other apps
(PeopleSoft, Decision Support Systems, etc.) but we have a couple main
desktops; 1 for our Customer Service Reps and another for the rest of the
Business.

So far it has worked out pretty well running Windows2003 SP1, and MFXP with
Office2003/Visio2003/Project2003/etc, but we are considering consolidating
our 2 main desktops in to 1 as a base for everyone, and then running our
specialty apps in silos where people will access them either by WI or PNA.
We are getting ready to test the single desktop in the next month or so with
PNA and PS4.

My team is Infrastructure, so we are fine with more of a general use desktop
because we just image them, but our App Dev folks obviously all love their
stuff running in a silo so they don't have to worry about their app when we
do any kind of updates to the other apps on the same server - they all want
their own.

Are you looking for something in particular?