[THIN] Re: Published Applications

  • From: Mark Cook <mc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:26:12 +0100

You could always install DeskPRO
(http://www.alps-enterprise.com/Products/DeskPRO/DeskPRO_Features/deskpro_fe
atures.html
<http://www.alps-enterprise.com/Products/DeskPRO/DeskPRO_Features/deskpro_fe
atures.html> )

With this you can specify child/parent application relationships amongst
other things, for example you could set IEXPLORE.EXE so that it can only be
started (for example) from explorer.exe (the desktop) then if a user tries
it from another app (eg. OUTLOOK.EXE via a URL) it won't start !  We
actually use it to stop the scheming little student types from using the
NET.EXE command in VBA app's in word or similar to send abusing network
messages, eg. We set CMD.EXE to only start from USERINIT.EXE (the post
WINLOGON process generating desktops etc.) and then NET.EXE can only be
started from CMD.EXE !!!  This way logon scripts work but they can't do NET
SEND etc. etc.  Incidentally we also used DeskPRO to put IEXPLORE.EXE into
specific TimeZone slot's so that it can only be used during certain period
of the day...

If you decide to have a play please feel free to mail me off list
(mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ) if you have any further
queries !

Mark