[THIN] Project Virtual Reality Check released

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thin.ms" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: THIN <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 08:39:48 -0500

Ruben and Jeroen have released Project VRC, below is an email I received
from Rueben about it and where you can download it.

Jim

Today we (Jeroen and I) are very proud to finally announce the official
launch of "Project: Virtual Reality Check" (VRC).

This is a independent research joint venture between our companies Login
Consultants and PQR. The primary purpose of VRC is to release multiple
whitepapers to provide information about the scalability and best practices
of virtualized Terminal Server and Desktop workloads. The first phase of
Project VRC on virtualizing Windows XP and 32-bit Windows 2003 Terminal
Services on ESX, XenServer and Hyper-V.

The whitepapers can be downloaded freely from www.virtualrealitycheck.net.;

The goal of Project VRC is to investigate, validate and give answers to the
following questions:

   - How does various Microsoft Windows Client OS's scale as a virtual
   desktop?
   - How does a VDI infrastructure scale in comparison (virtualized)
   Terminal Server?
   - Which performance optimization on the host and guest virtualization
   level can be configured, and what is the impact of these settings on user
   density?
   - With the introduction of the latest hypervisor technologies, can we now
   recommend running large scale TS/CTX workloads on a virtualization platform?
   - How do the two usage scenarios compare, that is Microsoft Terminal
   Server [TS] only, versus TS plus XenApp?
   - How do x86 and x64 TS platforms compare in scalability on bare metal
   and virtualized environments?
   - What is the best way to partition (memory and vCPU) the Virtual
   Machines the hypervisor host, to achieve the highest possible user density?

All together over 150 test have been carried out. However, project VRC is
not finished, and probably never will be. Additional publications are
planned about virtualizing x64 workloads and the other (Vista and Windows 7)
client OS's. Also, we look forward to evaluate new innovations in the
hypervisor, broker and hardware arena.

Jim Kenzig
Blog: http://www.techblink.com