[THIN] Re: Profiles and Paths

  • From: "Paul DeHaan" <wppad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 10:25:05 -0500

I use a single mandatory profile for all my users.  This saves me a lot
of time, effort, and disk space in the long run since... plus I only
have to update a single profile when making a system change.  Any
changes that are made by a user to the profile while in a session are
lost when they leave the session.  I map there home drives and public
drives while in the session so that they can work with their normal
files.  These mapped drives can act as working directories.  By adding
your .ini files to the \windows directory of the single mandatory
profile, all users will get them when logging in.

Microsoft has six very in depth articles that have "policies and
profiles" in the title.  Those docs should provide you with good info.

HTH,
Paul

>>> jmartin@xxxxxxxxxx 03/05/03 10:00AM >>>

What is the best way to configure the users profiles in Win2k Terminal
Services. What I need to know is should I use a terminal service
profile if
I have users connecting to a terminal server to use only one
application?
The application requires a local working directory - will c:\documents
and
settings\profile be ok to use? I have found that if I setup a profile
folder
on a separate drive D:\Users\profile that my application writes data to
both
profile directories. Each user also requires a Windows\ folder inside
their
profile that holds per user .ini files.

Is there any good documentation out there on configuring Terminal
Services
Profiles?

Thanks