[THIN] Re: Processor queue length

  • From: "Timothy Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:06:36 -0500

Odds are, nothing is "stuck", just backed up a little! It would be different
threads all the time.  At any instance you can check the thread state to see
which ones are waiting, but it is instantaneous.

I don't think that PQL of jumping up to 9 on a quad box is all that bad
(just a hair over 2/processor).  Most folks consider anything above a
sustained level of 2 or 3 per processor to be an indication of a problem. I
feel that with higher speed processors today (which you probably have in a
quad box) you should allow more than that before becoming overly concerned.

If you haven't yet, check out Brian Madden's white paper on performance
tuning (www.brianmadden.com/thin) as well as my own white paper on
"perceived performance (www.tmurgent.com).

tim

Timothy R. Mangan  - Founder, TMurgent Technologies
tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx  www.tmurgent.com  (+1)781.492.0403