[THIN] Printing Support on an old Farm

  • From: "Seitz, Linden" <L.Seitz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Thin@Freelists. Org (E-mail)" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:17:11 -0500

Still supporting a TSE Metaframe 1.8 Farm that supplies a published desktop
to users on Wyse 3360 Terminals.  I set a default network printer using
defprint for each terminal by name.  I am experiencing problems with users
reporting that they are unable to print to their network printer within MS
Office documents and receive errors indicating "Windows cannot print due to
a problem with the current printer setup.  Try one or more of the following:
Print a test page, Make sure the printer is On and Online, Reinstall the
Printer Driver"

These errors occur at least a couple times per day as of late, are not
restricted to just one or two servers, and also occur with multiple printer
types (recent ones have been HP LaserJet 8000 5e, HP LaserJet 4100 6 and HP
LaserJet 4000 5e, but it has occurred on LaserJet 5's as well.)

The only way I can fix this (temporarily that is) is to disable connections,
wait until all users on that server logoff\timeout, go into the registry on
the problematic server and remove the driver entry for the printer in
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Wind
ows NT x86\Drivers\Version-2].   I then reboot the server and re-install the
drivers on the problematic server using my print server as the source of the
drivers.  My print server only has the version 2 drivers installed.

I need to able to prevent this driver corruption from occurring any further,
can anyone offer some suggestions?  Thanks!

than buying more servers.