[THIN] Printers disappearing and sometimes coming back

  • From: "George Wasgatt" <gwasgatt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:32:24 -0400

I'm trying to add new servers to my farm but each time I build a new server
people using that server report that their auto created printers disappear
and come back again later.  I do not have this problem on existing servers
and I am building the new servers with the same service packs & patches as
the existing servers. The auto created printers are actually still there on
the server, it's just that the running published applications lose contact
with them for a while.  The only common thread we can find is that the
printers disappear only after the user start up a published application of
IE6.  Here's the sequence of events:

User starts Citrix Program Neighborhood (V9, V10, V11 - all tested)

User start Outlook - printers are there & can be printed to

User starts IE published application - printers are there & can be printed

User clicks back to Outlook Window - printers are gone

User clicks back to IE Windows - printers are there, sometimes later the
printer reappears, restart the published app helps too

Environment: Windows 2003 SP1, Citrix 4.0 Enterprise Rollup 1, one farm all
servers configured with the same set of published applications

The new servers are either HP BL460c blade servers or VMWare ESX servers.  I
tried patching the servers to Windows 2003 SP2 & all avalbie patches and
bringing Citrix up to Rollup 5 but the problem persists.