[THIN] Printer alias name

  • From: "Lutz, Ken" <KLUTZ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:16:18 -0800

Hello everyone.  I have an application - PLUS - that uses some "named"
printers that have special defaults that direct printed output to
special drawers, pre-printed forms, etc.  For example, building permits
are pre-printed forms that come out of a particular drawer in the
printer that is not the default drawer.  PC PLUS users that need to
print building permits have a printer named PLUS PERMIT set up on their
computers that contains the defaults that select paper from the correct
drawer on their printer.  The MS Access report that prints that building
permit has been set to use the PLUS PERMIT printer.

In the Citrix environment, with all printer names prefixed with
"Client\ComputerName#\", the Access report can't find the PLUS PERMIT
printer.  It displays an error message stating that it cannot find the
printer, and asks the user to select another printer or use the default
printer.  The user then must go through a rather tedious process of
selecting the correct printer.

Is there a way to alias a Citrix printer so it's name is not different
for each person logging in?  For example, the building permits printer
would be named PLUS PERMIT for that user, instead of Client\<Device
name>#\PLUS PERMIT.

I don't think this can be done, but I wanted to run it by the experts
first.

Windows 2000 server with Citrix XPe FR2/SP2 and a few patches.

Thanks,
Ken Lutz
Senior Systems Administrator
Information Systems Department