[THIN] Re: Printer Weirdness

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <RMack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:19:45 +1000

HI,

We spent quite a bit of time, with HP involved (Rob Tuft), in finding out
that a lot of the newer HP printer drivers had a bug where the driver would
stay in memory until the user logged out. As HP added more driver
functionality and complexity (more DLLS, bigger memory footprint) this could
result in a server not being able to load any more printer drivers into
kernel memory. And everybody who tried to print to that printer, or others
using the same driver, couldn't print. After a while, as users logged out,
things would start working again.

HP discovered the same problem in their win2k drivers, but were working with
Microsoft to resolve this problem.

Course I thought that they had, fixed it I mean. Though what you're
describing seems awfully familiar.

The only "fix" with NT 4 was to restrict the number of drivers used,
generally by using the same drivers for a series of HP printers, and using
native, non-HP supplied drivers wherever possible.

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
rmack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx