[THIN] Re: Printer Hell

  • From: "Malcolm Bruton" <malcolm.bruton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 14:50:45 -0500

Although I accept there are good reasons for choosing third party
products to do this there are also valid reasons for not doing so.
(mainly cost)

I support 120 + servers with approx 45 print drivers installed and that
is it.  We have several thousand users and rely on client mapped
printers.  We don't use a third party solution.  We are still on "old"
technology with XPe and Windows 2000. We use UPD when we don't have the
native driver installed (or mapped)

We generally don't have any printer problems and the only real comment
from people is that it can be slow.  We know the speed is vastly better
with PS4

I do think sometimes we look at adding too many third party products
which can over complicate a solution or potentially make up for
something that wasn't properly thought through or designed correctly in
the first place.  Don't get me wrong.  I know Citrix printing can be a
pig but it can work too.

Keep your driver list to a minimum.  Don't let users or admins intall
printer drivers.  Use native drivers off the windows source media.  Use
printers form a reputable vendor.  Create sensible mappings.  Test your
drivers before rolling them out.

Malcolm