[THIN] Re: Preventing webbased installs on terminal server?

  • From: Brian Murphy <brian_murphy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:32:49 -0400

I would think that disabling Windows installer would only help if you were
installing something that made use of this service (MSI files for example)

1.  Check your NTFS permissions on the box.
2.  Check group membership on the box.  (For example, if you are running in
a domain how did you grant access to your users to login to your TS Box)
3.  Enable logging on the box, setup auditing on the Program Files Folder.
4.  Apply a MD5 one-way hash against the Program Files directory using a
utility like GFI System Integrity Monitor.  Download this utility and
configure the alerts section to notify you if something has changed in this
directory.  (This will help you track down the culprit assuming you don't
know whom it is already)
(ref: http://support.gfi.com/support.asp?pii=24&lcode=en)

Hope this helps.
-Murphy