[THIN] Re: Possible New Virus

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:17:27 -0400

trend is calling it WORM_MIMAIL.A

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_MIMAIL.A

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Fojut [mailto:Fojut.Joseph@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 1:05 PM
To: Citrix Mail List
Subject: [THIN] Possible New Virus

Just received this from Symantec:

There have been some preliminary reports of a new virus that will likely reveal
itself as the day progresses.  It hasn't been given an official name as of yet
and we only have limited information at the moment.  As a preventative measure,
I would strongly suggest setting up some filtering rules at your e-mail gateway
to block any attachments named "message.zip" or  "message.html"  and if you can
filter based on subject line, also filter on the phrase "your account" without
quotes (for file names as well of course).  Samples have been submitted and
Symantec Security Response is currently analyzing them

Regards,

Joe Fojut

Research Computing Facility

Mayo Foundation