[THIN] Re: Port speeds on all network devices?

  • From: Euan Cooper <Euan.Cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 14:53:29 +1200

You might like to look at the following link which explains auto negotiation
vs. hard coding the settings quite well.

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid7_gci802539,00.html

Generally you will want your system running at the highest speed supported
by the devices and at full Duplex.

The biggest problem is when you have a device like a non-managed switch
which you cannot "hard code" the speed\duplex settings.  I have found it is
FAR more reliable to leave the NIC to auto negotiate with such a switch and
only hard code the settings when you can set them on both the switch port
and the NIC.

Setting the NIC and then connecting to a switch port that auto negotiates
has in my experience almost always me problems.