[THIN] Re: Policies on Win2K

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <RMack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:10:29 +1000

Hi Chris,

There are obviously some difference between NT 4 policies and AD-based group
policies (GPO).

The most obvious one, as you stated, is that policies apply to containers
(OUs), not groups. You have to be in an OU to have a policy applied to you.

This actually gives you less granularity than NT 4 in the sense that you
can't use groups to apply policies, only to NOT apply policies.

That is, I can set security filtering on the group policy applying to an OU
so that certain security (global) groups don't have read/apply rights to the
group policy.

That will result in the GPO applying to everyone in the OU except the
exclusions.

However you have loopback processing mode, which when enabled on a GPO
applied to a machine OU (terminal servers), will allow you to apply terminal
server OU specific policies. In essence, when loopback processing is enabled
for a GPO/OU, logging on to a machine in that OU mean you are entering the
OU, and that OU's policies then apply to you.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
rmack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx