[THIN] Persistent drive mapping --- error "could" be caused by a Windows update "an attempt was made to remember a device that had previously been remembered"

  • From: "Claus, Brian" <BClaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:28:58 -0500

The problem was on an NT4 SP6 server running XP FR1.  See Microsoft KB
Article: 328981 for a description of the error.

Basically, I was typing net use t: \\server\share and getting...get
this...."An attempt was made to remember a device that had previously
been remembered."=20

Nice error huh?  Well, the MS article has a hotfix (one of them that you
have to call for...) for Win2k only.  I'm guessing that one of the
recent MS patches caused the error but I'm not sure.  I'm going to try
to recreate the error in a controlled situation now that I've had to
bring up an old image of the server to remedy the problem.

Things I tried that didn't fix:  rejoining the domain, recreating the
share, reapplying NT4SP6a, applying the Win2k fix to the Win2k server
that I was trying to map to, rebuilding profiles (made a little progress
here but messed up profiles so app wouldn't launch), I WAS able to do
net use s: \\server\share but my app was built around the T drive and it
would have been MUCH too hard to just map to a different drive letter...

I'll update this if I do get around to recreating the error by applying
patches 1 at a time.
=20

  _____ =20

=20
Brian Claus, A+, Network+, MCP
Network Administrator
WESCO Distribution, Inc.
225 West Station Square Drive, Suite 700
Pittsburgh, PA 15219-1122
Phone:  412-454-2412
Fax:  412-454-2540
bclaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bclaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>=20