[THIN] Re: Per Device vs Per User cals

  • From: Jeremy Thomas <jeremy.thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:51:19 +0200

Adam,

You may be coming across the same bug I've seen. I've spoken to Microsoft
about it, and it is due to be fixed in the next ServicePack.

Basically, the licensing mode settings are lost. We think it has something
to do with installing stuff, but we're not sure. If it looses the license
settings, it assumes "Per Device" mode and tries to issue TSCALs.

To check, I had a script that would check the relevant registry key, then
log on to each server affected and change the setting back to "Per User".

If you have any 2000 terminal servers, they only work in "Per Device" mode.

Hope this helps.