[THIN] Re: Pano VDI Solution

  • From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 13:07:11 -0700

Common reply to Rick and Mike-

These are both great comments. When I take this feedback and put it in
context of 15 years of doing this remote computing stuff,  I am seeing a
covergange up head. i.e. A total device that is at once the Net2Display
"decoder" and a thin client and a rich PC. That is, a solid state device
that has the intelligence of low level network optimization, remote display
client and local decoders/media clients as well as a Calista like
client/graphics server.

With practical solid state drives just around the corner, perhaps the new
thing will really be all the old things wrapped up into one smart device. It
is all solid state and seamlessly mixes local execution with remote
displays-- when you walk up, login or put in your tiny 2TB solid state key,
it becomes everything you need on the fly. Let's say you have LAN
connectivity, then everything is remoted. Let's say you have mediocre WAN,
it caches and downloads those elements that can't run well interactively.
Let's say that you are on a high bandwidth but high latency connection like
satellite or across the planet on a WAN, then it would actually stream a
virtual machine down to the local device to run and the files you need...

To guide this powerful solid state device we would need an open format to
communicate the conditions and requirements of each element of the session,
something like  XML for remoting, i.e. XDL- Extensible Display Language, a
way of telling the device you are sitting exactly how to handle each
application, rich media stream, voice conversation, remote machine, virtual
machines, etc..

Just dreaming out loud, but it makes sense to me!!

Steve Greenberg

Thin Client Computing

34522 N. Scottsdale Rd D8453

Scottsdale, AZ 85266