[THIN] Re: Pagefile setting for a citrix server

  • From: "Timothy R. Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:44:46 -0400

Jon D,

That the OS is paging out things is not (much of) a performance issue in
itself.  The real question is how much activity there is in paging things
back into memory.  You see, the OS pages things out (at a background
priority) but retains a copy in your "available memory".  If that paged out
page is needed again it can normally recover it from there rather than page
it in from disk.  You really want to be looking at the pages read per second
counter - which is the biggest indication of a paging performance issue and
directly related to your disk IO bottleneck.

Not that you can't tweak out additional performance by eliminating the page
file (if you have enough RAM), but if pages read per second is low the
benefit is also small plus you had really better know what you are doing
because the downside may be a blue screen.

Tim