[THIN] Re: PSE450R01W2K3005.msp

  • From: "Rick Mack" <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 12:58:44 +1100

Hi People,

I got offered a job by Provision and after a lot of soul seraching, I took
it. And believe it or not it wasn't about money.

But it was one of the harder decisions I've had to make.

Resigning as a CTP was nearly impossible. I really really admire the other
CTPs and feel they're about the best bunch of people around. And of course
there's always the ego bit.

Then there was Citrix.

I've been supporting Citrix products since 1993 (Winview) and having the
opportunity to actually try and make a difference as a CTP was just
incredible. And the Citrix people who encouraged and supported the CTP
program have just been terrific, especially Brad Nunn.

I hope I was able to help in some of the changes we've seen in Citrix in
terms of it's connection with the Citrix user and reseller community, but
there was also a lot of frustration.

My gut feeling is that Citrix are awfully close to losing the plot from a
TS/SBC perspective. There are so many things in the present TS product that
could be fixed with just a bit of extra effort that aren't going to be
because so much of Citrix' energy is being absorbed into their new
acquisitions. Some of the new stuff (Xen, provisioning server etc) is more
than cool, once it's properly integrated and ready for serious use.

As negative examples, until fairly recently, the whole of Citrix' printer
subsystem development was being done solely by Gary Barton. There are the 2
management consoles, the incomplete mfcom apis, non-existent Palm/Blackberry
synchronization, USB redirection etc. Of course it'll all going be fixed in
the Server 2008 product, maybe, but a lot of the additional functionality
will be provided by Microsoft rather than Citrix.

Citrix are desperately trying to re-invent themselves, and I still remember
Novell doing the same thing 12 years ago. How can you justify losing focus
on a product core that's generating more that 3/4s of your income?

Of course there's always Platinum edition, but what about the advanced and
enterprise customers, what are they getting?

Sorry. it's probably not appropriate to be voicing my frustrations like
this, but I felt you deserved a decent explanation.

I guess I came to realise that my allegience wasn't so much to Citrix but
rather you guys (and girls) and the SBC community and technologies. And
Citrix has had such a central role.

So why did I go to Provision?

The "fatal" hook was being offered the opportunity  to get involved
in really helping to set the direction of the product.

Imagine being able to ask for an enhancement and watching it happen.
Imagine having a customer or reseller come to you with a requirement for
something special and being able to develope and deliver what they need.
Imagine putting together an SBC product that will have ALL the bells and
whistles. No third party add-ons needed to fix stuff that has been "broken"
forever.

Provision are far from perfect, their support forums suck, they've been so
focussed on R&D and pushing out a good product that a lot of other little
things have suffered.

But now that Quest is in the mix, we've got the resources to fix things up
and maybe make something really special. Some of the stuff coming out in the
next few months should really make people sit up and take notice.

Anyway, I'm not leaving, just wearing a different logo on my shirt. My heart
is still in the same place and I hope I can still contribute something
useful.

Oh, and I'll try to avoid mentioning that "we can do that" too often ;-)

regards,

Rick

Quest Software
Provision networks Division