[THIN] Re: PS4.0 session freezes

  • From: Matt Kosht <matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:36:33 -0500

After much delay it was discovered that Client Side Preferences (CSP)
 history had reached such a size as to impact performance in a large way.
Issue was isolated to winlogon.exe take 1 core or more to 100% util.  MS had
us apply http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974266 which didn't seem to fix the
issue (moves CSP processing to background vs. foreground). Further digging
found that winlogon.exe was very busy enumerating C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Group Policy\History\ folder
contents.  Affected servers had 5,000 to 6,000 folders and 2,000 to 3,000
files that got accessed everytime a refresh happened.  Simply renaming the
history folder forced it to rebuild to less than 200 files and 500 folders.
This resolved the issue and from posts I have seen cleaning up this folder
on a schedule is the long term fix to this as it will only balloon again
over time.

-Matt