[THIN] PS4 Client Printing Issue

  • From: "Adam Granatela" <agranatella@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:14:46 -0500

Good afternoon all,  I'm running into a very strange problem at a client
site.  Their farm is a 4 server local access database farm running PS4 with
hotfix R03.  The farm was upgraded from PS3 by another engineer.  When I
came in they were having tons of printing problems, servers locking up, the
whole deal.  I deleted all non-MS print drivers from the farm and set up a
policy to use native drivers as needed and the UPD otherwise.  I also set it
up to auto-create printers for everyone, and there are no session printers
in place.

There are several remote locations connecting via Program Neigborhood (WAN
locations, not over the Internet) who are having problems printing.  The
main printer involved is a HP LaserJet 2300.  What happens is the job goes
through the Citrix queue just fine, and even shows up in the event log as a
successful print, but never even shows up on the local machine's print
queue.  Local machines are XP SP2, firewall off, standard build, brand new
ICA v10 client install.  I can print locally from all applications with no
problems.

I've tried driver mappings (LJ2, LJ4, the HP 2200 driver that comes with
Windows), installing the HP 2300 driver on the server, turning off advanced
printing features on the client, UPD.  Still, I can't get anything to even
show up on the local PC's queue.  Local printers are either directly
attached to the PC via parallel or USB, or TCP/IP connected to a Win2k3
print server and connected that way.

I'm at a loss here.  Could something on the firewall allow Citrix
connections but prevent printing?  I'm getting mixed reports from the client
on what prints and what doesn't, so I'm not sure if all Citrix printing is
failing, or just for certain individuals.

Any ideas?  I'm at a loss here!

Adam