[THIN] Re: PNAgent and Load Balacing

  • From: "Angela Smith" <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 23:10:00 +1100

Hi Rick

My main concern with Session Sharing is I always thought Published Applications would be launched from the least loaded PS4 server. This isn't the case as all subsequent applications are run from the same Server hosting the first application. Because I cannot control the amount of applications a user can open, Im concerned users may open every application and use excess server resources. My servers occasionally use close to 80% of the total memory (4Gb). I have a farm of servers and have around 400 concurrent users.

You mentioned I can control the amount of apps a user runs from the 1 Host. Where do I find this setting? All my users run their apps from the same Host (ie the Host that lauched App1 due to session sharing) so this may ease my burden a little knowing user A can open x amount of apps from any one host.

Regards
Ang

From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [THIN] Re: PNAgent and Load Balacing
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:37:28 +1000

Hi Angela,

Unfortunately, you're quite right.

You can restrict the number of times a user can log on, or the number of
instances of a specific published application that they can run. However
while you could restrict the total number of published aplications a
user can run on any one server, I'm not aware of any way you could make
that work by selectively turning off session sharing when an application
number limit has been reached.

About the only way you'd get something different is if you siloed your
applications so that different servers had different apps. But that
would end up being slower in terms of application startup time so it
wouldn't win you any kudos from your users.

Pardon my asking, but what is the reason for your objection to session
sharing?

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems, a division of Commander