[THIN] Re: PC Anywhere as published application

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:51:15 -0800

Just a note for all users that want to use pcAnywhere on a Terminal Server
(and I'm talking about the Remote Control portion and not the agent/server
part):

pcAnywhere is unsupported by Symantec in this type of configuration.  This
was a direct quote from a Support Engineer at Symantec when we had run into
some issues when we wanted users to remote control another server or
workstation without using the Terminal Services client from within the ICA
session.

At least it was with version 10.5 and older.  I don't know about version 11.
The issues we would get is anytime a user had winaw32.exe open and another
user went to open another instance of it, the executable would generate a
Dr. Watson crash every time.  We re-installed version 10.0 numerous times
before we contacted Symantec.  Once we did, they informed us that they
couldn't support the product when installed on a Terminal Server.  Do keep
in mind that this was the Client only, and running on Windows 2000 Server
with SP2 at the time.

We ended up installing DameWare 3.51 and that worked even better.

Chris