[THIN] Re: Outlook file synchronization - please help!

  • From: "TheThin" <TheThin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:37:58 -0500

Replication to an .ost won't be any faster than putting the mail to a
.pst,  the data still has to go the same distance.  A VPN is probably
best for this solution, as the users could go natively to exchange.
Outlook 2000 can do an .ost to a client drive through Citrix, but you
also have to have Outlook configured on the local client.  And since the
data is encapsulated in ICA going to the client drive it takes even
longer (about twice the bandwith).  My one attempt at configuring this
for a user didn't go so well (worked in the lab, didn't work in the
field due to user error, low bandwith, and other issues.  Microsoft
probably pulled support for it for a reason.

If the execs have to have this, go with a VPN.