[THIN] Outlook and Windows Picture & Fax Viewer

  • From: Steve Snyder <kwajalein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:51:09 +1200

W2K3, Outlook 2007, GPO has "Run only Allowed Windwos Applications"

When a user double-clicks on a TIF file (that would launch in Windows
Picture & Fax Viewer) he gets denied due to the GPO. He can save it and then
open it just fine.

If I remove the GPO that restricts apps, it opens. I noteiced that it uses
the rundll32.exe process when launching the image file from within Outlook,
so I allowed that app too (and verified that it works) but still no go. I'm
suspecting that there's yet a 3rd app that lauches for an instant - too fast
to see in taskman - anyone know what it might be? Yes, I watched it with
procmon - didn't see any executables other than rundll32 shows up a
gazaillion time.