[THIN] Re: Outlook PST Files

  • From: "Jeff Pitsch" <jepitsch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 00:22:02 -0400

It is probably the fact that PST's are not supported on network drives.  The
symptoms you are experiencing seem in line with that:

Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019/en-us

Jeff Pitsch
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

Forums not enough?
Get support from the experts at your business
http://jeffpitschconsulting.com

On 5/1/06, Turman, David C. <david_turman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        Though not specifically a Term Server issue, I thought some
        smart person here could help.

        Our users run either Outlook XP or Outlook 2003 on Windows 2000
and
        Windows XP PCs'. We currently are running Exchange 2000. The users
keep
        PST files out on their network shares, which reside on Windows
2003 Server
        Clusters (HP DL 585) and the disks are on a SCSI Fiber Attached
EMC Clarion 300 CX SAN.
        The users will be in Outlook and when they try to get to a folder
is a PST they get
        "The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not
available. Contact
        your administrator if this condition persists". And if they try to
move something
        to or from the PST they get "Can't move items The file *
\\servername\filename.pst* could
        not be accessed"
        If they click on one of the folders in the PST files a few times
it may eventually open,
        or if they go to Explorer and click on the file from inside there
it may. It seems that
        if they have the file on a SAN based drive it is much more
susceptible to this.
        I know that MS does not support PST files on network drives, but
this has been working
        fine for years, until we moved from fiber attached "local" disks
and Windows 2000 to
        the Windows 2003 / EMC combo. Any ideas?