[THIN] Re: Outlook Exchange Cached Mode

  • From: "Webster" <Webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:09:15 -0500

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Evan Mann
Subject: [THIN] Re: Outlook Exchange Cached Mode

I also wonder if Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2010 will have full EWS support,
eliminating MAPI connections via Outlook Anywhere, which would also
eliminate cached mode being as important.  I also wonder if that's even
coming with Exchange 2007 SP2 and a hotfix for Outlook 2007 (kind of like
how Exchange over HTTP(S) was added with a hotfix initially)

From an Exchange MVP Friend:

Outlook 2010 is still the premiere MAPI client and will continue to be for
the foreseeable future. Fairly significant investments in EXTENDING MAPI to
64-bit were made for Outlook 2010 as well as adding feature content to MAPI
support.

EWS is being used for Entourage 2008 and is the recommended platform for
managed code development. MAPI is not available for managed code
development.

Note: "managed" means "using the .NET framework".

Also, RPC/HTTPs required a hotfix to XP initially, not to Outlook.

I believe all of the above is public.

Webster