[THIN] Re: Opteron processors

  • From: "Brian Madden" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:25:38 -0400

Good news! In the case of 64-bit Windows, all those components
(profiles, printers, shares, etc, etc) have also been compiled for
64-bit since they're part of the OS.

About a year ago I did a fairly large rollout of pure Windows 2003
Terminal Services on Itanium boxes (with the 64-bit version of Windows
2003 for Itanium).

Like I said before, MetaFrame itself did NOT work. However, all of the
Windows components worked great. AD, GPOs, profiles, home drives, etc,
etc, were flawless. In fact, users didn't even know their remote TS
sessions were running on a 64-bit OS.

All of the "standard" windows stuff, system variables, system32 folder,
IE, temp folders, etc, etc are the same. Logon scripts, kitxtart... all
that stuff works fine in production on Itanium-based 64-bit Windows 2003
Terminal Servers.

I don't think that our whole TS world is going to instantly shift to
64-bit. However, for those people who have large servers who are
experiencing PTE limits, etc, Opteron is going to be hella cool!

Brian

Brian Madden
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1.202.302.3657
Visit www.brianmadden.com for in-depth Citrix, Terminal Server, and
server-based computing news and analysis, white papers, downloadable
videos, and product reviews.

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On =
=3D
Behalf
Of Brian Madden
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 9:00 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah, everyone was skeptical of this, but it seems to be true. ("It" =3D
being
that 32-bit apps really do run as fast on a 64-bit OS on Opteron as they
=3D
do
on a "regular" 32-bit processor/OS.) I won't post a link here since =3D
it'll
get mangled.. Just do a Google search for Opteron 64 bit performance and
you'll find tons of stuff. Ars had a great review. So did Ace's.

64-bit Windows Server 2003 for Opteron processors is in public beta now
=3D
and
will be released at the same time as SP1 for Win2003.

As for testing... "Yes!" (That was my original point of this thread way
=3D
back
when.) I have an Opteron server on order. (It should be here next
week.) I have the beta of 64-bit Windows Server 2003 for Opteron. I have
MetaFrame. I'll post the test results as soon as they're ready.

Should be fun!

Brian

Brian Madden
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1.202.302.3657
Visit www.brianmadden.com for in-depth Citrix, Terminal Server, and
server-based computing news and analysis, white papers, downloadable =3D
From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On =
=3D
Behalf
Of Steve Greenberg
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 10:40 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I accept that theoretically this is possible, I am just very skeptical =
=3D
=3D3D =3D3D3D
that it could actually work in practise and in standard production =
=3D3D3D
environments. What is the status of 64 bit Windows? Would it be a simple
enough test =3D3D =3D3D3D to get our hands on WIN 64 code and try =
running =3D
32bit apps
on 64 bit =3D3D3D Terminal services?

Steve Greenberg