[THIN] Re: Opteron processors

  • From: "Brian Madden" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:00:18 -0400

Yeah, everyone was skeptical of this, but it seems to be true. ("It"
being that 32-bit apps really do run as fast on a 64-bit OS on Opteron
as they do on a "regular" 32-bit processor/OS.) I won't post a link here
since it'll get mangled.. Just do a Google search for Opteron 64 bit
performance and you'll find tons of stuff. Ars had a great review. So
did Ace's.

64-bit Windows Server 2003 for Opteron processors is in public beta now
and will be released at the same time as SP1 for Win2003.

As for testing... "Yes!" (That was my original point of this thread way
back when.) I have an Opteron server on order. (It should be here next
week.) I have the beta of 64-bit Windows Server 2003 for Opteron. I have
MetaFrame. I'll post the test results as soon as they're ready.

Should be fun!

Brian

Brian Madden
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1.202.302.3657
Visit www.brianmadden.com for in-depth Citrix, Terminal Server, and
server-based computing news and analysis, white papers, downloadable
videos, and product reviews.
From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On =
=3D
Behalf
Of Brian Madden
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 4:26 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, I am definitely saying that you can run a 64-bit OS with 32-bit =3D
apps on
an Opteron. This is why the Opteron is so sweet!

It basically has three modes of operation:

1.) 32-bit OS (or 16-bit or whatever) You can install Win95 on an =3D
Opteron.
Or DOS.

2.) 64-bit OS with 32-bit apps. This is called "legacy" mode.

3.) 64-bit OS with 64-bit apps. For now the only 64/64 combinations are
things like 64-bit SUSE with 64-bit Unreal Tournament server... stuff =
=3D
like
that.

But, you totally, absolutely, 100% can run 32-bit apps on a 64-bit OS on
=3D
an
Opteron will no performance loss. The question is whether MetaFrame will
install as an "app" and work fine being 32-bit or whether it's tied too
tightly into the OS, and therefore must be 64-bit.

Brian

Brian Madden
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1.202.302.3657
Visit www.brianmadden.com for in-depth Citrix, Terminal Server, and
server-based computing news and analysis, white papers, downloadable =3D
videos,
and product reviews.

Starting at $199!
http://www.neoware.com