[THIN] Re: Opteron processors

  • From: "Andrew Rogers" <Andrew.Rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:57:46 +0100

I might be missing something here, but you seem to be saying that you can r=
un a 64bit OS and also run 32bit apps in it.. I was under the impression 64=
bit OS means everything must be 64bit? (Hence the need for 64bit MF!)

Andrew
--o--

>>> brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 21/04/04 04:19:20 >>>
I don't agree with this. There are two different 64-bit modes for
Opteron processors (in addition to the full 32-bit legacy mode). Unlike
the Itanium chips, Opteron can run a 64-bit OS in "legacy" mode. In this
mode, it can run 32-bit applications at full speed. (i.e. No performance
hit for "thunking" or anything like that like when running 32-bit apps
on 64-bit Windows for Itanium.) While 32-bit apps don't get the
advantages of 64-bit integer calculations and stuff, they do get the
advantages of all the extra registers, etc. that AMD built into the
chips.

Starting at $199!
http://www.neoware.com