[THIN] Re: Office apps show my user having documents locked

  • From: "Nick Smith" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:31:54 -0000

Rick,
Thanks for this very clear explanation. I've got away recently with
single servers but am now planning for multiple TSes. Presumably I
therefore need to export the Shadow Key to any new servers. How does the
time-stamp on this work? Presumably it takes the time of the import of
the key and compares it to the user (roaming profile) settings? How do I
prevent the Shadow key overwriting user settings in this scenario?

Nick

 If a software installation is done in "install" mode and it updates any
keys under HKCU\Software, the values will be copied to
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal
Server\Install\Software (otherwise known as the shadow key). If an admin
session is in "install" mode when the admin runs up an changes any app
settings, these settings will also be copied to the shadow key.

        When a user runs up an application, if the appropriate registry
values aren't already there or they are older than the values in the
shadow key, they'll get populated from the shadow key. In single server
scenarios, this is can be a really usefull way to propagate application
settings. However if the shadow key isn't identical on all your servers
and has a different timestamp on each server, then things can get
interesting.