[THIN] Re: Office XP and Losing user info

  • From: Jeremy Saunders <jeremy.saunders@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:25:27 +0800

Interesting Jim.

So are you suggesting that this would cancel out the application specific
settings held in the following key?

 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal
 Server\Install\Software

How does this work for new users that do not have an existing profile, or
am I completly missing your point?

Cheers,
Jeremy.

             "Jim Hathaway"
             <JimH@infogroupnw
             Sent by:                  <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             thin-bounce@freel                                          cc
             ists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [THIN] Re: Office XP and Losing
             17/11/2004 03:38          user info
             AM

             Please respond to
                   thin

The work around is to use a portion of the Install registry to set an
“ignore” for userinit.exe on the registry keys that are being deleted
during login.

The area where the changes are made is:

“HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows NT\current version\terminal
server\compatibility\registry entries”

Valid entries under this area simulate the pathing defined for software
applications located under HKCU\software. IE – Always assume
“HKCU\software” is included in the pathing statements for creating the
values you need.

IE – you want to set a registry exclusion on Office XP, you make the
following REG_DWORD value under the key area mentioned above.

Microsoft\office\11.0

The value of the Dword entry should be a HEX value of “108”.

Following these concepts, if you also needed to set registry import
exclusions on Adobe Acrobat (for instance) you would need to make the
following entry under the regkey mentioned above:

Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0

In a nutshell as it was described to me by MS support. Userinit.exe is
confused and believes it needs to reset the values users have already
defined during logins, by setting up these registry settings you tell
userinit.exe to not bother with checking the registry settings in HKCU for
the paths / applications you define.

I’ve never run into this issue since a client came across it during a
service pack upgrade for their TS boxes. This change (reccomended by MS
support) fixed everything for their existing profiles to continue to
function without loosing their office settings. As I recall, new user
profiles would still get correctly setup with any pre-defined office
settings, but I would certainly test that process out (just in case) if
this solution appears to solve your other issues.

HTH