[THIN] Re: Off the subject: Outlook Office Reply

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:51:42 -0400

Yes.

Let's say I was a person trying to get into your systems, and you are a
fairly large organization where the help desk probably does not know
everyone.

I send a mass mailing to your addresses, one that looks like simple junk,
but doesn't contain  the "key words" that set off spam filters.  Of course I
relay it through an open relay somewhere.

If I get a few OOO, I can do a little social hacking.

In many orgs, the username is the same as the email address, so you have
info #1.  In most OOO, people tell you when they are coming back, and
sometimes where they have gone.  Info #2.

I make a phone call to the help desk.

"Hi, this is Dan Samaan, I'm on vacation this week, and I brought one of the
company laptops.  I can't seem to get connected to the VPN to check my mail.
Can you give me a hand?  Thanks a lot.

"I think I completely deleted the VPN connection while I was trying to
change the phone number.  What?  Oh, that's the problem... I'm supposed to
change the phone number on the dial-up connection.  Geez, I always screw
that up!

"Anyway, let's start by having you walk me through the setup of the VPN
again..."

See where this is going?

I guess it depends on how paranoid you want to be.  I'm not quite that
paranoid.

Not quite...

My $.02,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.

BTW:
(This is a fairly close account of an actual incident in a company I worked
for in the past... perpetrated by known people, of course, to prove a point
to the CIO)