[THIN] [Off Topic] VMware vs. XenServer -- advice please?

  • From: IT Helpdesk <it@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 09:49:57 +0100

This is a bit off topic, so please bear with me!

We're about to embark on a project to virtualise practically our entire server
estate.

Two vendors have quoted - one recommending XenServer and the other VMware.

Both saying their solution is the best and ridiculing the other, so we are a
little confused!

We have 100 users all running thin clients & logging on to published desktops.

We're swaying towards XenServer with an HP Lefthand SAN but I'd like a little
advice from the list first please...

I've read the Tolly
report<http://www.tolly.com/DocDetail.aspx?DocNumber=209103> on Citrix
performance via XenServer, which is great, but what about the other servers?

We will also be running SQL 2008, Exchange 2010, as well as the usual file
servers, DCs etc etc.

Is anyone running a similar setup to us on XenServer? How is it going? Any
pitfalls? Any regrets?

Any issues with software compatibility?

For example, we also run BlackBerry Enterprise Server and Equisys Zetafax -
both are supported in a VMware environment, but XenServer is patchy.  In theory
it shouldn't matter, but there's always the chance that if we run into issues
and log a support call, they'll just turn around and blame XenServer.

Thanks.

BM Polyco Ltd Disclaimer

This e-mail and the information it contains are confidential. If you have
received this message in error please notify us immediately. You should not use
or copy it for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any other party. The
contents of this communication are advisory and are not binding on the Company
unless supported by authorised documentation.
This e-mail has been scanned for content by Websense Hosted Email
Security<http://www.websense.com/>.