[THIN] Re: Off Topic: GPO Nightmare

  • From: richard van beers <richard.van.beers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:57:14 +0100

User Group Policy loopback processing mode
Setting Path: Computer Configuration/Administrative
Templates/System/Group Policy
Supported On: At least Microsoft Windows 2000
Explanation: Applies alternate user settings when a user logs on to a
computer affected by this setting.

This setting directs the system to apply the set of Group Policy
objects for the computer to any user who logs on to a computer
affected by this setting. It is intended for special-use computers,
such as those in public places, laboratories, and classrooms, where
you must modify the user setting based on the computer that is being
used.

By default, the user's Group Policy objects determine which user
settings apply. If this setting is enabled, then, when a user logs on
to this computer, the computer's Group Policy objects determine which
set of Group Policy objects applies.

To use this setting, select one of the following modes from the Mode box:

-- "Replace" indicates that the user settings defined in the
computer's Group Policy objects replace the user settings normally
applied to the user.

-- "Merge" indicates that the user settings defined in the computer's
Group Policy objects and the user settings normally applied to the
user are combined. If the settings conflict, the user settings in the
computer's Group Policy objects take precedence over the user's normal
settings.

If you disable this setting or do not configure it, the user's Group
Policy objects determines which user settings apply.

Note: This setting is effective only when both the computer account
and the user account are in Windows 2000 domains

HTH Richard