[THIN] Re: Odd Server Strangeness

  • From: "Robert K Coffman Jr - Info From Data Corporation" <bcoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:09:09 -0400

Thanks to all those who replied, particularly Rick Mack for his extremely
detailed response.  That one deserves a link on thethin.net.

Lee David suggested PowerChute, and sure enough, I'm running it, but I can't
tell what version, because lo and behold the services are in "starting"
mode.  So I suspect that it is in fact broken. ;)

Marc-Andre Lapierre suggested Veritas, and as I've mentioned, I'm running
that as well.

So my plan of action (for Saturday) is this:

1. Boot to safe mode, disable any Veritas or Powerchute services.  Reboot,
check server status.
2a. If server seems normal, upgrade PowerChute, reboot and check status.
2b. If not, go directly to 5.
3.  Try to get the backups etc. working again.
4.  Reboot, verify system is ok.
5.  Backup, and run through Rick Mack's suggestions.  I'm going to do this
even if I determine that PowerChute was at fault, because the experience
will be worth it.

Thanks all again - I see some light where there was only darkness ;)

BTW Rick, in September I'm doing a volunteer "computer tune up clinic" to
raise money for a local school, your post will be documented for those
system admins who volunteered to help if we run into a particularly
troublesome system(s), which I suspect we will.

- Bob Coffman

This weeks sponsor: SuperSpeed
Try Us To improve performance along with other agents!
FREE 30-day Trial!
http://www.superspeed.com/servers/computing.php?ID0