[THIN] Re: OTish: Stretching the use case for RDP admin session

  • From: TSguy92 Lan <tsguy92@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:03:39 -0700

Hi Christopher,

1) it is possible with RDP to limit a user to only one session, however this
setting wouldn't work quite as you've depicted:

 - on a windows 2003 server, under admin tools you'll find "terminal
services configuration"
   - highlight "server settings" within this tool and you'll see an option
for "restrict each user to one session".
 - how this setting works is:

  UserA logs onto the server with the "shared account", and starts the
process intensive app.
  UserA disconnects their session.
  UserB logs onto the server with the "shared account", they see the process
intensive app running or completed (essentially the state it was left in by
the last user).

  Now lets presume that UserA doesn't disconnect the session...

  UserA is actively working on the server under the shared account.
  UserB attempts to login to the server using the shared account.
  UserA gets booted off their connection (with no prompts), UserB now has
the connection right where UserA was using it.

 2) Yes if a user manually disconnects, or if somehow they loose network
access and disconnect unexpectedly, the session would still be running and
they would reconnect to it.

  - account and connection options for 'idle' or 'disconnected' timeouts
could potentially clear disconnected sessions, but only if they are setup
(by default they are not).

The setup that's being proposed is doable, but it's also quite possible that
your group of users might be stepping on each other's toes. For what's being
suggested I don't know that a windows 2003 server is really even needed, you
could get away with a dedicated workstation (win 7 / winxp) instead.

HTH

Lan