[THIN] OT: need some help

  • From: "Rick Mack" <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 03:34:43 +1000

Dear Friends,

I'm sorry about this really OT post, but I'm hoping that one of you might
know someone who could help. First a bit of background.

My daughter Eileen went to New York about two and a half years ago on a
scholarship to the Manhattan School of Music. She plays the clarinet and the
love of her life is music (http://www.newspeakmusic.org/bioeileen.html). But
she has found at least two more. She has fallen in love with New
York's amazing musical community and a really great young man from Canada.

Anyway, she graduated in May and I was lucky enough to be in New York for
her final recital. The only time I'd been prouder was the day she was born.

She applied for and received a Green card in September so she could stay in
the U.S.. But when she got the card she found that she'd accidentally been
given refugee status on the card. While she'd probably almost qualify as a
musical refugee, and we all had a good chuckle, she thought she'd better
contact the Immigration department to clear things up. They said send in the
card and we'll fix things. So she sent in the card, and it was recorded
as destroyed in the beginning of October.

But it hasn't been replaced, despite quite a bit of effort on her part to
try and find out what had happened.

Last year she and her boyfiend flew to Australia to have Christmas with us.
It was a special time having the two of them with us. This year they were
both going to Canada to have Christmas with his family, the flights have
been booked and everything has been organised.

Except she can't leave the U.S. because without a green card she won't be
let back in.

Eileen can't go to Canada and can't even come home for Christmas. She can't
go anywhere without the green card because of the very real possibility she
could be deported back to Australia and not allowed to return to the U.S.

So that's my problem. I'm not trying to fight the system or jump the queue
or get any special favours. I just want my daughter to be able to have
Christmas with the people she loves.

If anyone knows someone who could maybe give the system a little bang to get
her green card back, I'd be most thankful.

regards,

Rick

--
Ulrich Mack