[THIN] OT: moving Exchange 5.5 to a new computer

  • From: "Pavlo Ignatusha" <pignatusha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Org Thin (E-mail)" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:17:07 -0500

Hi folks.

Merry Christmas everybody and enjoy the holiday season.

For those of you who stick around I have a question. I need to move my
Exchange 5.5 to a new computer. We are fairly small 1 server exchange site
(about 150 mailboxes (10Gb information store) but it is important for us.
Unfortunately upgrade for E3K is not an option this year (keep my fingers
crossed for next year). I think about going per MS KB 155216 "How to move
Exchange server to a new computer that has the same name". Has anyone done
this before? Any tips and tricks how to do it?

One more thing: current Exchange server resides on NT4 SP4 box and I would
really like to move it to W2K server. In that article MS says that if
destination computer doesn't match original by the OS verion or SP level
Exchange databases will be recalculated (but it will work). I know Exchange
5.5 can be installed on W2K but will the move work?

Thanks for the input.

Pavlo Ignatusha
Systems and Network Coordinator
Pembroke General Hospital
Tel. (613) 732-3675 ext.6150
Fax. (613) 732-9986
www.pemgenhos.org

"All that matters is love and work" - Sigmund Freud.