[THIN] Re: OT: do hp jetdirects do dhcp conflict detection?

  • From: Nick Smith <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:05:12 +0100

Oh, that's easy then.

Kill your users.

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Steve Snyder
Sent: 23 October 2009 14:46
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: OT: do hp jetdirects do dhcp conflict detection?

problems occur when users assign static IPs to devices and don't tell anyone,
which I'm sure they only do accidentally.

like greg, I use dhcp on the printers with dynamic DNS enabled, use the host
name for the jetdirect as the port for the print queue and voila - no more
managing lists of static IPs, no more managing dhcp reservations, users can
move devices to different subnets, switch-sluts can change the ip subnets,
whatever - no action on my part needed. (sort of like how printing works on
novell networks)

but unlike greg I don't use dhcp for servers nor do I wear mismatched socks,
but we won't go there... ;¬)
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Nick Smith
<nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Wow. Very interesting. That's...wow.
<Brain whirrs into overdrive>
Cool. I see how that could work if properly set up.

But, if Steve is getting address conflicts, it isn't, so I'll stick with my
advice J

<Potters off to re-engineer network on a Friday afternoon>