[THIN] Re: OT: XP Service Pack 2 information

  • From: "Tim Mangan (new)" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:44:17 -0400

For anyone that would be impacted by XP/SP2 breaking things, I recommend
that you get a copy of the release candidate and play with it.  I have been
doing so, and am getting an education in what thought I knew that I really
don't know.

Of special interest is what the Windows Firewall does (formerly ICF).  For
example, you will need to learn how to configure the firewall to fix issues
with many apps that communicate with other devices (such as client/server
things not over http).  While the easy solution is to turn off the firewall
to fix these problems, in the long run I think Microsoft has a point
regarding "secure by default" and we will be better off enabling only those
things we know about and approve.

You need to develop a process for determining what an application needs -
Microsoft didn't make that easy due to feature changes beyond WF.  For
example, the Windows Firewall has a feature to log blocked packets.  But
this didn't help me when the problem was that the RPC locator service
(allows an RPC service to be found by name rather than port - this is
different than the RPC service) is now disabled by default.  Thus packets
were not blocked by the firewall, but RPC could not receive them.  These
kind of issues take some spelunking.  Another challenge is determining
exactly what allowing "file and printer sharing" in the WF actually does -
as it tends to fix a lot more than just file and print sharing.

Microsoft seems to be giving the release candidate (RC1) away at every
opportunity, and the "Windows XP Service Pack 2 Overview" white paper
(available on their site) is a worthy read.

If you are going to get stuck with the headaches next fall when it is
released, you might want to spend some time this summer.

tim