[THIN] Re: OT - Where are NIC bindings?

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:59:32 -0700

Thanks for the info...Can't do a host file.  DHCP and all that.  We're
trying to get one of the telcos to "donate" some bandwidth.  Apparently, we
are one some older technology (telco side) and they want us to move off.
Problem is that we may have to upgrade some equipment on our end so the
telco is
talking providing an extra T1 or two.

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

                      "Chris Lynch"

                      <lynch00@xxxxxxx>        To:       <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      thin-bounce@freel        Subject:  [THIN] Re: OT - Where
are NIC bindings?
                      ists.org

                      09/30/2003 04:42

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      thin

Not to get into a pissing match... I know that you *can* have multiple
Interfaces with Default gateways.  This screws up the routing engine within
Windows (which isn't that great to begin with).

To change the binding order, you need to open up the Properties of My
Network Places, and then click on Settings, then Advanced.  There you can
change the bindings.

I feel for you.  I just know that from experience, this type of
configuration is a pain to have in place.  What you might want to do is
this:

1.  Remove the Default GW from the External NIC
2.  Add static routes manually back to your DSL clients
3.  Leave the Default GW on the Internal NIC

This will not cause any problems with your dial-in users.  Of course, this
assumes that your Broadband clients have a static IP, and not DHCP.

Chris