[THIN] OT: What's the future of Java?

  • From: "Hutchinson, Alan" <Alan.Hutchinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 17:37:44 +0100

This is not my area at all really but I feel a discussion coming on here
in the next week or so and as such would appreciate input either from
experts in the know or just crystal ball gazers.

With the demise of MS Java and new Windows XP PCs coming with SP2 there
is by default no JVM installed on PC's. With a move to 'flexible
working' and users being able to use their own PC's from home for work
purposes the Java option for WI was always attractive (forget the
interface) for the zero footprint installation. Will users want to
install a JVM ?, or will they even know what one is?. Is it a must for
general home use and surfing etc. and will it be so in the future ?(no I
don't have a PC at home and my PC at work has a JVM so it's quite
difficult to tell what I may be missing).

Personally, for business purposes, and where we have some control over
what is and isn't installed I've preferred the ICA Web client but I'm
not sure that we'll get away in futrure that users install this on their
own PC's.

Regards,

Alan.

This Weeks Sponsor: Lakeside Software
SysTrack is the easiest to use, most complete way to monitor system and
application performance. SysTrack combines comprehensive monitoring
capabilities with hardware/software inventory, change management, user/web
auditing, and reporting to create a total management solution.
Evaluation at: http://www.LakesideSoftware.com