[THIN] Re: OT: Weird VM W2K8 IP Address issue

  • From: Jon Wallace <jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 14:31:27 -0500

Hi Steve,

I saw something similar on a cloned VM on Hyper-V.  What was happening is
that the cloned VM had a new NIC (which was correct) but the original NIC
left ghosted info in the registry.  Even going into device manager and
showing hidden devices didn't show the original adapter as it was not
present and thus didn't allow its removal.

I found there were a couple of ways to address this.

1. In a command prompt, type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and then in
device manager, select show hidden devices to reveal the original adapter
and remove it.
2. Run a sysprep on the cloned machine
(c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe) and generalize the machine ­ this
will also remove the legacy adapter
Hope this helps.
Jon

From:  Steve Snyder <kwajalein@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Tue, 7 Dec 2010 08:47:31 +0100
To:  <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [THIN] OT: Weird VM W2K8 IP Address issue

VM (ESX) cloned from a template - I can change the IPA and it takes as
verified by an IPCONFIG but when you open the network properties and look at
IPv4 it's always got a different IPA listed. Click on advance and both IPAs
show up - the correct one and the one that always shows up - hit cancel, go
back to a command prompt and run IPCONFIG - correct IPA shows up and I can
ping the proper GW (the two IPAs are different subnets). So it's technically
working, but annoying as can't seem to stop the second IPA from appearing in
the property GUI.

Other VMs have been cloned from the same template w/o this issue. I've
removed and added the NIC for fun, didn't help.

Any clues? I'd uninstall IPv4 but W2K8 seems to think that shouldn't be
allowed of course.