[THIN] Re: OT? WSH Logon Scripts

  • From: Marco Cortigiani <tuscan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 21:22:29 -0400

Guys,
I am glad that I found some other citrix admin that are using WSH and
Vbscript like me. I also recommend these books "Windows Script Host"
Programmer's Reference by Dino Esposito, and "Windows 2000 Windows
Script Host" by Tim Hill, I also have "Teach Yourself Windows Script
Host in 21 Days" by Thomas Fredell. These author is maintaing these
scripting group http://groups.msn.com/WindowsScript. Another good
scripting source for administrator that want to learn scripting is
http://www.winnetmag.com. This the web site of windows magazine that
contains a lot of really cool scripting articles.
When we were looking to import the logon script into the W2K environment
I spent wrote a logon script that was using just wsh and vbscript. I
download a logon script from this site
http://groups.msn.com/WindowsScript, and I add few changes for our
environment. The script was starting an instance of the MS Explorer
greeting the user, showing the user name, mapping the drives, printers,
and finally closing the explorer. I put together the skeleton of this
script, that was documented, and that being a script language easily
readable.  The reason that this script was not implemented was that the
network administrators of my previous company wanted a tool will
automatically generate the script. In this cookie cutting solution that
I provide them the only thing that they were supposed to do was to type
the right drive letter and unc in a sting like this

'Mapping the drive
wshNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "s:", "\\servername\sharename",

Can't be done we need a tool. Evidently they needed a tool that could
their mind, since they could not even read and type in english. If you
guys know such a tool let me know that I'll pass it to them.

Go figure it.
Ciao
Marco Cortigiani